Thursday, June 17, 2010

Apartment Progress... Window Treatments




Yes, I've been here just over a year and my place isn't finished! Unfortunately, my budget is keeping me from getting big ticket items like a sofa and chairs, but it's not stopping me from doing smaller, less expensive improvements like adding window treatments.

Even though I've been labeled a 'cold' person in interior design terms, I love curtains. They soften the space and give it a more 'finished' look. I feel floor length curtains look better than shorter ones unless you have a deep window sill that the curtains hit. Hang the curtain rod either up to the ceiling (as I did above), or half way between the top of the window and the ceiling.

The curtain rods are from my first apartment and the curtains and blinds are new for a cost of about $120 for the two windows. I only did blinds on the office/dressing area window (not shown) for an additional cost of $38.00. The branches in the large vase were cut from a tree outside my window. I also switched out my darker picture frames for white ones for about $65, and moved two of them between the windows. And not sure if you can see Smokey making a run for under the bed...

PS - If you're new to the site, bolded text are links... and thanks for reading!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! your space is looking great. i love the "cold" look. ;)

where did you find that super cool light fixture by your bed?

laura said...

thanks megan!
i got the lamp from west elm over 5 years ago...

:O)

Royall said...

Love that curtain rod!

Missy said...

The Ikea curtains look great. Did you use more than one pair on each window?

laura said...

missy: there's only one curtain on each side of the window so it's one pair per window...

:O)

Studioist said...

Your space is so tranquil. Looking great.

sari said...

I love how calm and serene your apartments always look. I aspire to achieve the same environment for myself, so thank you, as always for the inspiration. Where is your bedding from, if I can ask?

(Also, not sure if you remember, but thanks for the advice on where you bought your pandan boxes - I ended up buying two sets from there - the small ones you linked me to and a larger palm set. Thanks again!)

laura said...

sari: i'm always happy to share, the bedding is from ikea! :O)