Saturday, January 30, 2010

Build A Bookcase


(my first apt, the bookcase sat centered behind the curtain)
(behind the curtain)
(reused in my second apt, the tiny studio)
(showing the screw from underneath)
(base supports)

I figured since I showed you how I took a part the bookcase for my new bed, I should tell you how I made it in the first place.

The piece was in my first apt, sitting behind the bedroom curtain to store work materials that I didn't want out. The curtains were installed 10" from the wall so 10" deep shelves would fit perfectly. I measured the things to go on the shelves so I had the perfect height for each shelf. If I were making this for books, I would measure what I had to find out the deepest and tallest to make sure things fit nicely.

I went to my local hardware store (with a lumber dept) and purchased a 4' x 8' x 3/4" sheet of sturdy yet inexpensive wood and had them cut nine 10" shelves. The supports came in 8' length which were cut at 12" intervals.

I staggered the posts for aesthetic reasons and although I found out I glued most of them, I would suggest screwing it together from the bottom so you don't see the screws when upright. Drill starter holes and use 3 or 4" wood screws. I used four posts on their sides for the base for maximum support. I also pushed it so it was right on the wall (again for support), you could always attach it to the wall with L-brackets you can pick up at your local hardware store.

No comments: