Wednesday, August 18, 2010

I Don't Understand (Most) Landlords...







My current apartment was renovated before I moved in which I thought would be great, what a change, but there wasn't much attention to detail as the place wasn't finished; I've been here over a year and am still missing a door to one of the kitchen cabinets. So I've been doing what I feel is necessary to get it finished without spending too much time or money.

Above is the door bell that has no cover. I painted the bell part but it wasn't much of an improvement. After measuring the bell, I went to my favorite place Muji to see if they had a bin that would fit over it and of course they did. The bin is translucent plastic so I cut a piece of white paper to line the bottom to make it less noticeable. Using clear packing tape, I taped the top to the wall. Sooo much better...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! NY landlords....I think they are a different species. I would like to find a way to cover my ugly buzzer plate. It is typical...beige with 3 buttons at the bottom... I would paint it but then there would probably be a charge for it down the road. I looked for a mirrored cover but nobody makes them. Anyway loved the naked bell solution!
Kate

sunny said...

I love your solution!
Looks cute :)

Anonymous said...

I've noticed you white bowl before, and thought I would finally ask who makes it.

Meagan said...

1) I love the idea of a mirror by the door, so you can check yourself before you leave the house (I always forget and often end up looking a mess when I think I'm looking fly!). 2) Where is that gorgeous bowl on the entry table from? It's so fun!

laura said...

thanks guys!

i got the white bowl from west elm many years ago. i believe it's a knock-off of a designer piece but i love it.. thanks!

Kate - Art Hound said...

How clever! Love it.

Raena said...

I too have been in love with your white bowl! This is a really clever solution, btw. :)