Monday, August 9, 2010

The Story of Stuff



I mentioned The Story of Stuff in the last post, but I really wanted to make sure you saw this. It's the back story of where all of our stuff comes from. It's the reason why the term Reduce, Reuse, Recycle is specifically in that order, not just because it sounds good that way. Many people think that recycling is the key to being 'green' but the truth is that while it is an important part of the puzzle, it's the last part:
1. Reduce your consumption is key, then
2. Reuse what you have before buying something new, and as a last resort
3. Recycle whatever you can instead of putting it in the trash

I'm not saying all consumption is bad, but when people think only buying organic, free trade, or things made from recycled materials is NOT the answer. The answer is consuming consciously; think if you really need it, like it, are actually going to use it, and if it will add value to your life. Otherwise, you're still consuming for the sake of it and whatever you buy will eventually be tossed, donated, or recycled again. Personally, I just don't want to have to 'deal' with my things that much. I want to use and enjoy them...

No comments: